Yesterday, the NRA just alerted their members of a hearing concerning gun control bills. On Friday (Jan 24), the Virginia House Public Safety Committee will hold a hearing at 8 am on six gun safety reform bills. Because of the late notice, the gun group didn’t ask for attendace but wants their members to call committee members opposing these gun violence prevention bills.
Gun control advocates have a chance to support Delegates in their courageous attempt to pass gun safety measure by counteracting pro-gun calls to the committee.
- House Bill 2 and House Bill 335 would expand background checks to include private transfers. Currently, only sales made at gun stores must undergo background checks. 👍
- House Bill 9 would require that lost or stolen guns be reported to the police within 24 hours of discovery. 👍
- House Bill 421 eliminates preemption laws. These laws prevent local communities from restricting places like parks and schools from having gun. 👍
- House Bill 72, 463 and 1083 would penalize parents for carelessly allowing children to have access to guns. 👍
- House Bill 674 would allow Extreme Risk Protection Orders. These ERPO laws allow families to request guns be removed from family members who are a danger to themselves or others. 👍
- House Bill 812 and 1502 would restrict gun purchases to one a month. This prevents illegal gun dealers from obtaining an inventory of guns. 👍
Any calls to committee members listed below will help. Ask them to support the gun control legislation before the committee:
Chairman Patrick Hope, (804) 698-1047
Vice Chairman Jeffrey Bourne, (804) 698-1071
Del. Jennifer Carroll Foy, (804) 698-1002
Del. Nick Rush, (804) 698-1007
Del. Sam Rasoul, (804) 698-1011
Del. Ronnie Campbell, (804) 698-1024
Del. Tony Wilt, (804) 698-1026
Del. Roxann Robinson, (804) 698-1027
Del. Joshua Cole, (804) 698-1028
Del. Kenneth Plum, (804) 698-1036
Del. Kaye Kory, (804) 698-1038
Del. Daniel Helmer, (804) 698-1040
Del. Mark Levine, (804) 698-1045
Del. Alfonso Lopez, (804) 698-1049
Del. Matthew Fariss, (804) 698-1059
Del. Thomas Wright, (804) 698-1061
Del. Carrie Coyner, (804) 698-1062
Del. Clinton Jenkins, (804) 698-1076
Del. Glenn Davis, (804) 698-1084
Del. Shelly Simonds, (804) 698-1094
Del. Marcia Price, (804) 698-1095
Del. Amanda Batten, (804) 698-1096
- To find your representatives and senators phone and email, enter your address at Who are My Representatives.
- See our Advocacy page with legislator contact suggestions.
- A simple message from the heart is powerful. Keep it simple and make it personal if possible.
- Comment on this alert at Stop Gun Madness.