The NRA told their gun nut members, “We are strongly encouraging gun owners to go to the Statehouse and rally with fellow gun owners.” We say, those citizens interested in gun violence prevention should also attend the meeting. The NRA people, as they did at the recent House committee meeting, will be out in force.
- 👍 S.84 would outlaw plastic undetectable guns.
- 👍 S.156 would limit approval of handgun carry permits to the attorney general’s office.
- 👍 S.464, similar to S.84, it would outlaw plastic guns.
- 👍 S.469 would increase penalties for not reporting lost or stolen guns to the police.
- 👍 S.502 would penalize for the unsafe storage of firearms.
- 👍 S.595 would require gun dealers send a monthly report to the state police summarizing gun sales.
- 👍 S.635 would ban unregistered assault weapons.
- 👍 S.636 would ban firearms from within 300 fee of school grounds, except for law enforcement.
- 👍 S.637 would ban assault weapon magazines from holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition.
—Tracking Progress of these bills: Bold indicates passed—
In the House—>In Committee—>On House Floor—>Passed Chamber
In the Senate—> —>On Senate Floor—>Passed Chamber
After Passage—>On Governor’s Desk—>Governor Signed—>Becomes Law
If possible, please attend the Statehouse meeting of the Senate Judiciary Committee on Tuesday, April 2 at approximately 4 p.m. If unable to attend, please send an email to the committee (Slegislation@rilegislature.gov) stating your support of the current gun related legislation to help make Rhode Island safer.
- To find your representatives and senators, enter your zip code at The League of Women Voters.
- From the Indivisible Guide 2.0: Coordinated calls. Calls are a light lift, but can have an impact. Organize your local group to barrage your MoCs [legislators] with calls at an opportune moment about and on a specific issue.
- Check out stopgunmadness.org for fast moving updates.