The New Mexico full Senate passed the Extreme Risk Protection bill by a 22 to 20 vote. This close vote shows why citizen advocacy is so important. In the past, only pro-gun people made the calls to their legislators. Now, as more citizens worry about gun violence, they are making their own calls.
- House Bill 7 / Senate Bill 5 would create a process to file an Extreme Risk Protection order allowing family members to request a judge remove guns from a person who is dangerous to themselves or others. 👍
The New Mexico legislative session is short, so more alerts will follow as this bill moves through the legislature.
- To find your representative and senator’s phone and email, enter your address at Who are My Representatives.
- Make sure you include your full name and address. Adding simple message from the heart is powerful. Keep it simple and make it personal if possible.
- See our Advocacy page with legislator contact suggestions.
- Comment on this alert at Stop Gun Madness.