Last week, Governor Phil Murphy stood up to the NRA by closing gun shops during the pandemic. Then yesterday, the NRA gloated that the Governor reversed his decision because of the President ruled to keep gun stores open:
…freedom loving Americans scored a critical victory today when the Governor announced in a press conference that he was reversing that part of his executive order which closed gun shops.
Keeping gun stores open ignores public safety for two reasons:
- The purpose of closing businesses is to stop the virus spread. Every type of business left open increases the spread of the virus.
- Gun groups try to frighten citizens into fears of public panic. The subtle message they use is, you need a gun to protect your family from those desperate for food. Now is the perfect time to frighten the public to buy more guns, but they need the gun business to churn away as normal to sell those guns.
March 24, 2020
New Jersey: Shuts down background checks for gun safety
Democratic Governor Phil Murphy essentially shut down the sale of guns by gun stores. He shut down the State Police background check system. He is smart enough to realize that, during potential unrest, we don’t want the further spread of guns to desperate people.
The NRA alerted their members with:
At a time when uncertainty about social order has prompted a large number of Americans to exercise their Second Amendment right to self-defense, New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy has made it impossible for Garden Staters to do so.
This my translation of their meaning:
At a time when uncertainty about social order has prompted a large of number of Americans to prepare to shoot their neighbors New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy has made it impossible for Garden Staters to do so.
February 25, 2020
New Jersey: Two gun control bills fail
Two-gun safety bills failed in the New Jersey Senate Law and Public Safety Committee on Monday.
The NRA thanked their members for contacting the committee. Apparently, not enough concerned citizens for gun control made the contacts.
- 120 increases the penalty for improper storage of firearms when It results in death. This strengthens the law in place requiring the proper storage of guns. 👍
- 746 prohibits animal abusers from purchasing or possessing a gun. 👍
No action at this time.
- To find your representative and senator’s phone and email, enter your address at Who are My Representatives.
- Make sure you include your full name and address. Adding simple message from the heart is powerful. Keep it simple and make it personal if possible.
- See our Advocacy page with legislator contact suggestions.
January 21, 2020
Toy gun ban signed into law
- AB 4260 Prohibits the sale of guns that appear to be real.