Governor Polis issued a shutdown order during this emergency. Included in the order is a designation of gun stores as essential. Nobody will starve if gun stores close. The rational is to be able to protect your home. Nobody can support the theory that more guns in homes makes us safer.
March 18, 2020
Colorado: The legislature adjourns until March 30
All progress on gun safety is on hold.
March 12, 2020
Colorado: last minute alert of vote to repeal ERPO law
At 1:30, today, Colorado the House Judiciary Committee is scheduled to vote on a bill to repeal the Extreme Risk Protection Orders law. Throughout the country, these laws have given an opportunity to families to be safer. Also, guns have been taken away from suicidal people. It makes no sense to eliminate this option for families.
The NRA alerted their members late this morning to contact committee members to support this bill.
- House Bill 1271 repeals the Extreme Risk Protection Orders law. This law allows family members to request a judge remove weapons from a dangerous person. 👎 Dislike
Please email the office of the House Judiciary Committee Chairman, Representative Joseph Salazar, email@example.com. Urge the committee to oppose HB 1271 and not repeal the Extreme Risk Protection Orders law.
- To find your representative and senator’s phone and email, enter your address at Common Cause.
- Adding a simple message from the heart is powerful. Keep it simple and make it personal if possible. Make sure you include your full name and address.
January 23, 2020
Colorado: Hearing on two alarming gun bills
The NRA notified their members asking them to contact members of the House State, Veterans, and Military Affairs Committee. The hearing is on Thursday (Jan 23). NRA members were not asked to attend, but to send emails to the committee members.
The gun control group, Colorado Ceasefire, provided the phone an email of committee members. I’ve included it below.
HB 1040 would allow virtually anyone to bring guns into public schools. The Concealed Carry License is not much of a qualification because they are easy to obtain.
HB 1099 would allow unlimited magazine capacity in assault weapons.
- House Bill1040 would allow anyone with a Concealed Carry License to bring their guns into schools. Since obtaining a license, virtually anyone would be able to bring their guns into schools. 👎
- House Bill 1099 would repeal the ban on ammunition magazines that can hold over 15 rounds. Why do you need over 15 rounds? To kill more than 15 children at a time? 👎
Please call or email the office of the committee members. You can paste this message into an email directed to your legislative representatives found in the link below:
Please oppose HB 1040 and HB 1099. Both bills would reduce gun safety measure in Colorado and increase gun violence.
The House State, Veterans, and Military Affairs Committee
Chris Kennedy (D), Chair 303-866-2951 firstname.lastname@example.org
Sonya Jaquez Lewis (D), Vice Chair 303-866-2920 email@example.com
Monica Duran (D) 303-866-5522 firstname.lastname@example.org
Stephen Humphrey (R) 303-866-2943 email@example.com
Cathy Kipp (D) 303-866-4569 firstname.lastname@example.org
Susan Lontine (D) 303-866-2966 email@example.com
Janice Rich (R) 303-866-3068 firstname.lastname@example.org
Emily Sirota (D) 303-866-2910 email@example.com
Dave Williams (R) 303-866-5525 firstname.lastname@example.org