The NRA claims their member opposition to this gun safety bill bounced it back to a committee. Until their gun nut opposition, It was scheduled for a full Senate vote. Now the bill is back with the Oregon Senate Committee on Rules. Concerned citizens need to also advocate for support of this inclusive gun safety bill.
👍 Senate Bill 978 would do the following:
- Allow gun dealers the option of not selling to under 21.
- Require the safe storage of guns.
- Require the reporting of gun thefts.
- Restrict minors from using guns.
- Ban the home manufacture of firearms.
- Allow local government entities to restrict guns from public buildings.
- Increase concealed handgun license fees.
—Tracking Progress: Bold indicates passed—
In the House—>In Committee—>On House Floor—>Passed Chamber
In the Senate—> —>On Senate Floor—>Passed Chamber
After Passage—>On Governor’s Desk—>Governor Signed—>Becomes Law
A quick phone call is very effective. Please call the office of your Oregon State Senator. Ask for support of Senate Bill 978.
- To find your representatives and senators, enter your zip code at The League of Women Voters.
- From the Indivisible Guide 2.0: Coordinated calls. Calls are a light lift, but can have an impact. Organize your local group to barrage your MoCs [legislators] with calls at an opportune moment about and on a specific issue.
- Check out stopgunmadness.org for fast moving updates.