The bill now on Governor Sisolak’s desk
Both the Nevada House and Senate passed a “red flag” bill. The bill also outlaws firearm modifications, and requires guns be locked up. This great bill, AB 291, would go a long way in making homes safer in Nevada. Of course, the NRA is strenuously fighting it. The Governor has until the end of today (6/13) to sign the bill into law.
👍 AB 291 would do the following:
- Create a “red flag” procedure allowing family and authorities to request a judge remove guns from a dangerous person. The bill also includes language banning bump stocks.
- Allow local communities to make gun safety laws.
- Outlaw firearm modifications that allowed the Las Vegas massacre last year.
- Expand on the current firearm storage requirements.
Tracking Bill Progress: bold=passed, italics=location
—In the House—>In Committee—>On House Floor—>Passed Chamber
—In the Senate—>In Committee—>On Senate Floor—>Passed Chamber
—After Passage—>On Governor’s Desk—>Governor Signed—>Becomes Law
A quick phone call is very effective. Please call the office of Governor Sisolak (775) 684-5670. Urge him to support AB 291 to make Nevada safer from gun violence.
- To find your representatives and senators, enter your zip code at The League of Women Voters.
- From the Indivisible Guide 2.0: Coordinated calls. Calls are a light lift, but can have an impact. Organize your local group to barrage your MoCs [legislators] with calls at an opportune moment about and on a specific issue.
Receive timely alerts for your state.