Here is information for this Wednesday’s Advocacy Day at the Massachusetts State House. We will be lobbying our State Representative and State Senator for firearms safety bills.
Advocacy Days at the State House have been a rewarding experience for me. The legislators or their aids have always gladly received my opinions.
Where to report
Everyone will gather in the State House, 24 Beacon Street, Boston in room 437. The gathering will begin at 11:00 am. Please allow time to find the room. The program begins at 11:30 am. Advocacy will begin at 12:30 pm. Please consider attending.
What bills will be promoted?
We will be given specific bill numbers at the time. In general, legislators like to hear the bill number from us to know exactly what issue we are talking about.
Numerous gun related bills were discussed at the recent Joint Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security. Below is a list of some of those bills.
- S1388 and H2045 would require a detailed analysis of MA crime gun trace data to better understand the origins of crime guns. 👍
- H2092 would require all gun sales in the state go through a dealer to complete a background check. 👍
- H2096 and S1361 would ban all 3D printed weapons and “ghost guns” which are undetectable by metal detectors. 👍
- H2095 would close a loophole in the large capacity magazine restriction law. Currently, guns manufactured before 1994 are not exempt from the restriction. 👍
- H2093 and S1360 would require gun owners to possess liability insurance. 👍
- H2091 would require live firearms practice to obtain a firearms license. Currently, you never need to practice firing a gun to obtain a firearms license. 👍
- H2097 would stop the bulk purchase of guns by limiting purchases to 15 guns a year. Also included in the bill are gun theft reporting requirements, receipt of gifts registration requirements, and the microstamping of guns and ammunition for traceability reasons. 👍
- H2046 would increase the penalty for the reckless firing of a gun in a public place. 👍
- H2077 would impose fees and fines for using a vehicle to transport illegal firearms. 👍
Who is sponsoring Advocacy Day?
The event is sponsored by both the Massachusetts Chapter of Mom’s Demand Action for Gun Sense in America and the Massachusetts Coalition to Prevent Gun Violence.