Governor Holcomb signed into law the dangerous “stand-your-ground” bill. A conference commitee added several provisions at the last minute. To elect more Republicans, registering to vote becomes part of the License to Carry process.
👎House Bill 1284 and Senate Bill 119 will allow a defendant to claim justified use of force in their defense of shooting someone. Also added in conference committee:
- Require the courts to pay attorney’s fees for those accused of murder and found innocent.
- Extend the License to Carry a Handgun to five years and eliminate fees in 2020.
- Allow loaded guns in Churches.
- Provide voting at the same time as applying for a handgun license.
—Tracking Progress: Bold indicates passed—
In the House—>In Committee—>On House Floor—>Passed Chamber
In the Senate—>In Committee—>On Senate Floor—>Passed Chamber
After Passage—>On Governor’s Desk—>Governor Signed—>Becomes Law
- To find your representatives and senators, enter your zip code at The League of Women Voters.
- From the Indivisible Guide 2.0: Coordinated calls. Calls are a light lift, but can have an impact. Organize your local group to barrage your MoCs [legislators] with calls at an opportune moment about and on a specific issue.
- Check out stopgunmadness.org for fast moving updates.